A+ A-

Response to the Report on Salary Survey Report of High Education Graduates

  Our office has recently released a report regarding the changes in salary of higher education graduates (one year and three years after graduation) which has raised some concerns, therefore, our office states as follows:   

  1. In recent years, our office has been carrying out a number of specialized surveys, including surveys at the points of one year and three years after graduation, to gain better understanding of the placement of Macao higher education graduates. Through the information collected from “Learning Material Subsidy Scheme for Tertiary Students”, an online questionnaire will be sent to Macao students enrolled in degree programs for comprehending their employment status one year and three years after graduation.  

  2. In 2017, a questionnaire was sent to students graduated in 2016, while 2,380 valid questionnaires were successfully collected. According to the results of the survey, about 90% of the graduates are employed in Macao. 60% of them earn less than MOP18,000 monthly, while the other 40% earn more than MOP18,000 monthly. They engage in industries including education, public administration, gaming and entertainment, medical care and social services etc. (see Table 1)

Industry

Above18,000

18,000 or below

Education

60.8%

39.2%

Banking, finance and insurance

19.9%

80.1%

Public administration

54.5%

45.5%

Gaming and Entertainment

42.5%

57.5%

Medical care

57.0%

43.0%

Social services

53.1%

46.9%

Tourism, C&E, hotel and F&B

11.7%

88.3%

Trade, wholesale and retail

15.5%

84.5%

Communications and IT

33.3%

66.7%

Culture, creativity and art

20.0%

80.0%

Legal

31.8%

68.2%

Media

12.9%

87.1%

Pioneering work

10.5%

89.5%

Others

28.7%

71.3%

Total

37.0%

63.0%

  3. In 2017, our office has also sent a questionnaire to students graduated in 2014, while successfully collected 1,199 valid questionnaires. The monthly income of the students are higher than that at the first year after graduation. About 40% of them got chances for promotion. About 40% of them earn less than MOP 18,000 monthly while the other 60% earn more than MOP 18,000 monthly. They engage in different industries, such as public administration, education, medical care, social services, and communications and IT etc.(see Table 2)

Industry

Above18,000

18,000 or below

Public administration

77.0%

23.0%

Education

67.7%

32.3%

Gaming and Entertainment

50.0%

50.0%

Banking, finance and insurance

48.0%

52.0%

Medical care

88.9%

11.1%

Tourism, C&E, hotel and F&B

26.2%

73.8%

Social services

62.7%

37.3%

Communications and IT

68.1%

31.9%

Trade, wholesale and retail

38.3%

61.7%

Media

25.0%

75.0%

Legal

41.7%

58.3%

Culture, creativity and art

15.0%

85.0%

Others

56.6%

43.4%

Total

58.0%

42.0%

  4. The report about the “Follow-up Survey of Macao Tertiary Students after Graduation” has been uploaded to GAES website (http://www.gaes.gov.mo/hetdb/hr_supply_main2018.html). In addition, our office will carry out the follow-up survey of tertiary students one year after graduation by the end of June this year, and by the end of July will carry out follow-up survey for the employment status of tertiary students three years after graduation.